Department of Vermont


There are two categories of membership in the SUVCW: Members and Associates. To qualify to become a Brother for either category, one must be a man of legal age and never been convicted of a heinous crime. Membership forms can be obtained by contacting a local Camp.

Members: Members are those men who are related, either directly or collaterally to a Union soldier who served in the Union Army, Navy, or Marine Corps, or in a state unit subject to the orders of United States general officers between April 12, 1861 and April 9, 1865. In addition, the ancestor must have been honorably discharged from the service, or died of wounds or disease suffered in the service. A prospective member must be able to prove lineage to the veteran, and provide documentation of his service. If you know you have a Union veteran as an ancestor, but cannot find sufficient evidence, do not hesitate to contact the Camp for help. Several members are Civil War historians and are more than happy to help you in your quest to find the ancestor to become a member.

Associates: Associates are those men who do not have a Civil War ancestor, but are interested in the Civil War and the SUVCW. Associates have the same rights as Members, except they cannot hold the office of National Commander in Chief. Only one third of a camp's membership can be comprised of Associates at any given time. After time, many Associates find a Civil War ancestor and become full members.

Membership forms can be obtained by contacting a local Camp. For more information on joining the Sons of Union Veterans please visit the national organization's Membership Page.

Membership entitles you to a subscription to the quarterly magazine "The Banner" and helps support restoration work to Civil War monuments, patriotic education, and preservation of GAR material.